(For the Pension sanctioning authority of the department:)


  • Maintain service book of the Govt. servant properly with all noting of fixation of pay, promotion, scale of pay, post held, leave, suspension, re-instatement, extension, superannuation etc. under proper attestation alongwith any other non-qualifying service.
  • Process pension cases 2(two) years before the date of superannuation of the Govt. servant.
  • Regulation of pay i.e. in case of promotion, revision of pay etc., may be checked further before sending the case to the office of the Accountant General (A&E).
  • Every effort should be made to complete the verification of service in the manner specified in the rules and to make good the omissions, imperfections or deficiencies which have a direct bearing on the determination of emoluments and the service qualifying for pension.
  • Obtain the necessary particulars in form Pen. 15 from the retiring Govt. employee8 months before the date of retirement.
  • Nominations for G.P. Fund, DCRG, Group Insurance etc. should be obtained from the Govt. servant and the concerned nominations forwarded to the office of the Accountant General (A&E) alongwith pension papers, complete in all respects, in form Pen. 15-A, not later than6 months before the date of retirement.
  • After sending the pension papers to the Accountant General, report to him at the earliest, any event, if occurs, which has bearing on the amount of pension/gratuity admissible.
  • A consolidated "No Demand Certificate" may be furnished by the Head of the Office.
  • If the Head of the Office is of the opinion that Govt. employee is likely to retire before his pension or gratuity or both can be settled finally, in accordance with the provision of rules, steps may be taken to sanction and disburse provisional pension as per rule 9.9/rule 9.14 of Pb CSR Vol. II. Note to this effect be also recorded in the service book.
  • Govt. dues payable by the retiring Govt. employees pertaining to govt. accommodation be ascertained expeditiously and recovery be affected.
  • A notification/office order indicating the date of superannuation/retirement should be sent to the office of the Accountant General(A&E) after the retirement of the Govt. servant.
  • When the Govt. servant dies while in service, Head of the Office shall initiate immediate action for obtaining claim for family pension and death gratuity from the beneficiaries.
  • In death case the process of determination of qualifying service and emoluments should be completed within one month of the receipt of intimation of the date of death of the Govt. employee.
  • Family pension papers, comprising among others forms Pen. 16, Pen. 16(a), Pen. 16(b) , Pen. 17, NDC/Detail of dues, death certificate etc. alongwith service book, duly completed, should be forwarded to the Accountant General, not later than one month of the receipt of claim by the Head of Office.
  • After the pension case, referred to above, having been sent to the Accountant General, Head of the Office should draw provisional family pension as per rule 6.28 of Pb CSR vol. II. and remit to the beneficiaries.
  • In case of pre-mature retirement, copy of the notice of retiring govt. servant, Office Order accepting the notice and actual retiring him/her should be sent with the pension case. In case of pre mature retirement under rule 3.3 of Pb CSR (Pre-mature Retirement) Rules, completion of 20 years qualifying service must be ensured before accepting the notice.
  • In case of invalid pension, certificate of competent medical authority and copy of the retirement order should invariably be enclosed with the pension case.
  • Where Govt. employee had rendered military service full details of military service, pension\gratuity etc., if any, availed in lieu thereof should be duly recorded in the service book and intimated. Copy of the discharge certificate of the Defence deptt. should be sent with pension case to the office of A.G (A&E).
  • In case of missing Govt. employee copy of the F.I.R. lodged with the concerned police station, report of the police station, and indemnity bond received from the beneficiary must be enclosed with family pension case.
  • Application for commutation of pension, if applied so, should be in correct form (Pen. 14\Pen.12). The date of receipt of application with the deptt., must be recorded. If application is received after one year of the date of retirement, medical certificate, issued by the competent authority should also be enclosed.
  • When pension has been sanctioned by the deptt. in terms of decree of a court it should invariably be intimated whether appeal in the higher court has been filed or not by the deptt/Govt.
  • Where Adhoc service is desired to be counted as qualifying service, a certificate to the effect that conditions laid down in the Finance Deptt. Letter no. 1/74/98-99/FPIII/7273, dt. 26-10-95 are fulfilled, needs to be furnished and noted in the Service Book.
  • Where work charged service is desired to be counted as qualifying service, a certificate to the effect that his work-charge service is continuous, genuine and admitted for pensionary benefits in terms of Punjab Govt. letter no. 10/34/90FP3/2373 dt. 11-3-92 may be recorded in the Service book.


  • Do not keep any noting in Service book unattested.
  • To avoid processing of pension cases just before retirement or after the retirement.
  • Do not delay submission of pension cases to the office of the Accountant General (A&E).
  • Do not keep any period of service unverified.
  • Do not forward any form unfilled.